Materials used and organization:
- Students form teams of three up to five people.
- Two Buckets
- Flip chart with pens
- Index cards
a. 1 set with big brand names (for inspiration)
b. 1 set of product categories.
- Each team randomly selects an index card from each of two buckets.
- A set of cards has big brand names.
- One set has product categories.
- The instructor/teacher opens with “You work for a company……and that company wants you to develop a product for them from the following product category…….”
- A flip chart and pens are available per group and have already been placed on tables.
- The groups are given five to seven minutes to think and brainstorm about ‘the product’.
- Let the students think about: the features, the benefits, the target group of the product, promotional ideas.
- A spokesperson from each team presents to the class for about 4 minutes, preferably with a flip chart.
- The teacher monitors the time. The teacher also ensures that all mature and immature ideas receive equal attention.
*With the same system of ‘two buckets’ another association exercise can also be devised. (principle of combining dissimilar ideas).
For example, 1 set of repair materials and 1 set of repairs in the house. Legion of possibilities.
With this activity you have achieved the following objectives:
- Associating outside the box
- Experienced that innovative thinking is in everyone.
- Experienced that the group complements each other in innovative ideas